Saturday, June 19, 2010

After 30-years @KABC-TV Mr. Gene Gleeson's NEW(s) Chapter

Last night in Burbank CA, I attended a retirement party for Southern California legendary newsmen, Gene Gleeson(KABC) and Mark Coogan(KCBS,KCAL). It had been a while since I had seen Gene, so I decided to go and show my support...given that he started my career!

In 1998, I was a Bishop Amat High School student, who was going to become a police officer one day. After joining the explorer program for Glendora Police Department, I was 100% intent on being in law enforcement. That was until, I saw a Channel 7 Eyewitness News Truck at Citrus College, which was near where I lived at the time. I went over to this DODGE RAM news truck(remember those?) and saw Mr. Gene Gleeson was in there! I had been a long-time viewer. When others were watching cartoons, I was watching news!

The first question I asked him, "What's that huge pole on the top of the truck?" He told me that it was a huge antenna with that feeds his story back to the news station. He told me that the video is fed to mountain towers like Mt. Wilson. Wide eyed, I asked about the monitors, edit bay, and other equiptment! He answered every question without hesitation! I was sold! Then he invited me to the station, to check things out! At that time he was the 11am anchor of Eyewitness News. My mother took me, and that visit changed my life! To be able to witness the behind the scenes, the "well-oiled machine" that is TV news was something I will never forget.

At that point I was sold! No more wanting to be in law enforcement! It was all about news, being able to tell a story, inform people on what's important, giving them what they need to get through the day...that's all I wanted to do! I thought at the time that I would be perfect for the field. I think I was right!

Gene, and I have remained in contact and friends ever since! He has encouraged me and given me advice and knowledge that is of more value than any paycheck, video, or college instructor could provide. I remember coming more from my station visit, telling everyone I knew about what a great guy Gene was. Some people from way back in the day remember that vividly.

Here's the bottom line that I learned from Mr. Gleeson! Be nice to everyone what comes in contact with you! You may not be having a great day, but kindness goes a long way. Answer every question(if you have the answers). Say hello! Be friendly! You never know how you can affect someone's life with one simple meeting. From time forward, I have held myself to that, and have affected a few lives in the process.

To Gene Gleeson, I say a HUGE thank you! I appreciate you greatly, and wish you the very best as you start your next journey called relaxation and travel! He has a book list of things to do everyone. Who knows, he might be back on the air somewhere in the future, covering things that he wants to cover. I may even produce it! You never know.... God Bless Gene Gleeson for his hard work, informing and inspiring! So glad to call you my friend!

--

No comments:

Post a Comment